Thursday, December 3, 2009

South Georgia.

South Georgia is a place I honestly had no clue about before I read this article and it seems like an amazing place to visit at some point in my life. This place seems to be like in a snow-globe, untouched by the outside, it's like it's own little world among our big one. Reading the descriptions about the multitude of the animals and how they all live together simply blows my mind away, how could a place such as this exist without my knowledge?
I thought it interesting how a place can change so much if just given the chance, it makes me wonder if we gave the world a chance could it change as South Georgia did, could it return to the way it was before we began to pollute it? All those animals that were on the verge of disappearing forever, but ran away from death and came back in the droves, it makes one think if we could've done that to those animals that did go extinct, if we had just backed off for a bit would they still be here today, walking among us? Either way this island is a perfect example of what nature is capable of when untouched by man for a period of time and it should be preserved.
Unfortunately this place is in danger, as it once was. Before it was the whalers and sealers that would hunt for fur and blubber and drove the seal and whale populations to extinction, thankfully they have bounced back and are in outstanding numbers. The issue now though is the krill. Krill seems to keep this place thriving since a huge seasonal swarm of krill goes by South Georgia feeding much of the population, but it goes astray every so often. Much evidence seems to suggest that this is being brought on by the changing weather conditions, global warming to be specific. Without this seasonal activity life on South Georgia as we know it could be in danger seeing as how it houses many species depending on the arrival of the krill.
I just hope that this island will survive, it's a home to many animals and the loss of it would be devastating. We've done so much to the world already, we don't need to hurt yet another piece of magic floating in the vast ocean, for we could lose it and all it's occupants forever.

1 comment:

  1. I too agree with you Sydney.I think that our world could have been a "South Georgia" if we didnt pollute and destroy it. While reading this article i couldnt help but wonder about the island isolation. remember, its like when an island is near and the animals migrate to the island. Anywayes, I thought your article was great. I would love to visit South Georgia. It seems pretty and a wonderful place for animals.
    Shanice Hines

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.