Thursday, October 7, 2010

Can We Build A Brighter Shade Of Green?
I'm sure that everyone has heard of green design, and incorporating the green movement into the building of homes. However, many people, myself included, have never heard of the passive building movement. The article in the New York Times entitled, Can We Build A Brighter Shade Of Green, details the efforts of a Boston couple to build a home that is certified as a passive home. A passive home is one that is carefully designed to require minimal amounts of heat and energy in order to properly function. They build these homes with walls three times thicker than the average wall, with heavy duty insulation and carefully calculated window placement. These windows face the sun in order to obtain the optimal amount of heat energy from the sun. With these incredibly thick walls and carefully placed windows, the home is able to retain the optimal amount of heat. These homes are very well suited for cold weather areas, though plans are still being formulated create passive homes that will be effective in warmer climates. Some of the downsides to these passive homes however are their initial costs as well as the lack of properly trained professionals that can built them and required materials. Because these passive homes have not been widely incorporated into building designs in the United States, there is a lack of readily available materials. The initial costs of the passive homes are also rather high, however in time the incredible efficiency of the home makes up for the initial cost. These homes have incredibly low energy costs, because require so little heat. One of the unfortunate things about these passive homes and buildings is that they have yet to really be incorporated into design plans in the United States. The United States has only thirteen certified passive buildings, while Europe has over 25,000 certified passive buildings. The success of these structures in Europe should certainly prove to us in the United States that this is a great way to create a more sustainable way of life. The article states that these passive homes use 90% less heating and cooling energy than the conventional home. This is certainly an indication that we need to really begin to incorporate these ideas into our building codes in order to help the environmental cause.


I found this article to be incredibly interesting, mostly because is had never heard of the concept of the passive house. I think that it is certainly something that should be incorporated into the way that we build our homes. It was very surprising to me that Europe was so far ahead of us in the environmental movement and building these passive homes. It was shocking to know that there are only 13 certified passive buildings in the United States, while Europe has over 25,000. It is sad to think that we are so behind in this movement and that we have not made more of an effort to live sustainably. I would definitely like to learn more about the standards and structure of a passive building. What I am really wondering is whether or not they have been able to come up with a solution for warm climates as well. Because with its technology to hold in heat, it would certainly not be an effective home in the summer months of an area like Suffolk. I would also like to learn a little bit more about the way that they calculate where windows should be placed on the home in order to maximize sun exposure during the winter months, because I am sure it is very carefully calculated. Finally I really think that there should be more of an effort made to get this information out to everyone, because I had never heard of this prior to reading the article.

Zeller, Tom. "Can We Build A Brighter Shade of Green?." The New York Times. N.p., 25 Sept. 2010. Web. 7 Oct. 2010. .

2 comments:

  1. passive solar design is something we talk about during the 3rd trimester--stay tuned!! It's still frustrating to me that doing the best thing environmentally is more expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Margaret's article was very interesting because I also have never really heard of passive homes, but I had heard of home that try to be more environmentally friendly by positioning their house to face the sun. The description of a passive house reminded me of the Chesapeake Bay Headquarters because their office uses many of the same methods to gain as much heat from the sun as possible in order to reduce heating energy use. I also think its interesting how America has a few passive homes compared to Europe. This could be due to the fact that passive homes are built to retain heat, and Europe overall has a much colder climate than America does. I think this information is very important because it could mean big changes for the American housing industry as we try to make our home more environmentally friendly. The information is also very important to colder areas such as Michigan, who could greatly benefit from passive home modeling. Passive homes could equate to major change in America since we have such few passive certified buildings, and in American society as we become more environmentally conscience, then the number of passive homes will greatly increase. Hopefully America will be able to catch up to Europe in the near future!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.