Scientists have recently found out that a group of geese called the Pacific Brant have skipped their annual migration to the south for the winter. Instead of spending the winter months in the waters of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, they instead chose the lagoons of western Alaska. Scientists believe this abnormal behavior has been prompted by the world's climate change. A change in storm systems, sea level rise, and erosion all have been clues to why the birds would make this change. It is possible that if this trend continues, not just a flock but wholes of migratory birds will be affected. I believe that in order to curb this growing problem, the Earth as a whole must change their environmentally degrading ways and try to stop this global warming.
I agree absolutely with the article in how our environmentally unhealthy ways are speeding up not only global warming but readily affecting these migratory birds. I really liked how the article works in providing a specific example of how global warming is hurting animals and our environment first-handedly. It provides concrete evidence that the environment is changing and not in a good way. I would like to know after reading if there have been any more changes in the migratory patterns of any other types of animals in the world, and if the change is so drastic.
Channing M.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/09/16/birds-migration-warming.html
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.