Hawaii is going green! Its six main islands are trying different ways to make energy. The islands are getting energy from the waves in Maui, the wind in Lanai and Molokai, the solar panels in Oahu, maybe from the biomass energy from crops in Kauai, and the seawater near the big island, Hawaii. The volcanic activity is also helping the environment. Electricity is made from the heat energy from the volcanic rock. Hawaii is said to have the most diverse use of alternative energy. The creative use of making the energy is causing challenges in delivering energy to the people. The people are just too far to obtain the power from the sources. These renewable resources are only serving 9 percent of the islands' power. 77 percent of the islands' energy is still coming from imported oil. By 2030, 40 percent of the power in Hawaii should be generated from renewable resources. The islands will be connected by cables and energy conservation will help enforce the plan.
Hawaii is taking a great step in helping our environment. It is also helping the United States economy by trying to reduce the use of oil. Oil may be the easiest way to create energy for our everyday appliances but it creates a great amount of damages. The renewable energy resources give the nation a sense of relief because of our economic and environmental crisis. I think this is a great idea and I hope the plan reaches its goal by 2030. I hope other states will consider other renewable resources as an energy provider. I was surprised that there are so many other way to obtain energy. I was also surprised that coal only provided 14 percent of the nation's energy. I will be on the look out for more information on the steps Hawaii is taking to make the state more green. I am just curious to how they are going to enforce the idea and get the energy to the people all over the state. If Hawaii is putting their resources to use, I hope other states will follow in their foot steps.
by Lexie Redd
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.