Sunday, October 18, 2009
Bikes
Environmental city builders are attempting to change people’s transportation habits. They believe increasing the number and safety standards of bike paths will do that. Since the ratio of men to women biking is 2:1, the hope to encourage women to bike. They also take in the roles of women compared to men, in the environmental world. Europe’s bicycling trends were also considered in the article. I believe that increasing way to be environmentally friendly is a good idea, to become more sustainable. I do not like how they tried to turn the whole article into anti-feminism. I think there are other obstacles hindering people’s ability to bike instead of drive. People bring children to places cannot bike. Another reason is you can not transport large quantities of things, while biking. The biggest issue of them all is where to safely put your bike once you get to your desired location. I think more environmentally, public transportation should be considered. I would know what cities are they observing and considering in the statistics.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you Trisha that a lot of work needs to put into action for more people to be sustainable in their transportation choice. They should increase space on the road for bicyclists. Safe places for bikes also needs to be considered. The only problem with merging peoples ways of transportation to higher efficiency transportation is that their is always a down side and it will be hard to persuade people. That is why we need to make greener transportation more approachable.
ReplyDelete--Lexie Redd
Unfortunateley, we in America have already signed our death warrent in many new settlements. Where we live, for example, services and population are greatly seperated by many kilometers of burning roads and immense parkinglots. Urban sprawls themselves are abomimabley planned to accommidate cars and cars alone. We'll probably have to knock down many of our current settlements and re-structure them in the fasion of denser, older cities, which seem to be much more acommidating to both the bycicle and the metro train. What will be necessary, however, is for people to be willing to cooperate to such a radical change, and we all know that many Americans are stubbornley opposed to the idea of adopting European practices, even if they would save both the country and the earth in the long run.
ReplyDelete