The new habitat designation includes all nearshore waters in the current range of the southwest Alaska population of the sea otter and in total making up to 5,855 square miles of habitat. Unfortunately, this proposal fails to protect deeper waters and areas further from shore that the otter also needs to recover.
The article was interesting because it's nice to hear that the government is working hard to protect animals and our wildlife just as much as they are trying to protect the rest of the world. Although I did not agree in the proposal covering only certain areas and depths of water where the otter lives. I think that if the Fish and Wildlife Service should protect all areas of the otter habitat if it is already going through trouble to get the particular areas protected. I also found it interesting since we just talked about how important the otters are to the environment and what a beneficial species they are. It was great to read a current event talking about something we just reviewed in our lessons.
Channing Midgette
I think this is very interesting because i didnt realize that sea otters were declining in population so rapidly in Alaska. Its good that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service stand up and protect such a key animal to many ecosystems. Society will benefit from protecting sea otters in the long run.
ReplyDelete