In a natural gas well near Franklin, Texas, gas was found leaking through faulty pipes. The gas was leaking into the air and was invisible to the naked eye. The environmental field cordinator for EnCana, Terry Gosney, located the leaks using his infrared camera. The leaks were soon sealed and fixed. Monitoring and repairing gas leaks is a fairly inexpenisve way of dealing with the global climate change. Energy experts say that this problem is seen throughout the world and can be fixed over and over again. Natural gas contains a large amount of methane which contributes to about one third of global warming as a result of humans.
I felt that this article was pretty interesting and I liked it. I felt that it identified a problem and showed steps being made to fix it. I was suprised to find that this is a common occurance. The process of identifying and fixing could possibly be replicated over one thousand times. This is a big factor in fixing the global climate change. The article seemed to discuss a great deal about the topic. They discussed the methane gas in great detail as well as the infrared cameras used. I would like to see how much fixing the leaks impacts the global climate change.
Brennan W.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/15/business/energy-environment/15degrees.html?_r=1&ref=science
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.